Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Upper Davidson Creek, NC 1/1/07

Level: 3.3'/3.5'
Group: Milt, Mark (laughingtotem), Ben (Ya'll Watch This), Roger, Kiley (me), Kristine, and a few others.

What a way to start the New Year. The phone rang early this AM with certain plans to hit this creek. Will Berkley, from Charlotte, called first to give me a heads-up that they were on their way over for a quick run down Davidson, and then his crew was heading over to NFFB. I knew that would be over my head, but I quickly turned to page 51 in Leland's book, noticed the II-III(IV) rating and decided there would not be a better way to begin the year than with a nice float down a river with one IV (easy portage) and a low head dam. The drive over was nice. By this time Milton had phoned to tell me THEY were heading that way as well. I decided that I would better fit their time frame, so I actually hurried a bit less and rolled the window down a smidgen to enjoy the 60* temps that were offered to the South East as I turned and meandered by the river. The looks, from what I could see, were very class II. I was stoked to be able to float and hang on the water and enjoy my friends.

I arrived at the ranger station to find Mark, laughingtotem, wandering the parking lot. We chatted for a few as we waited for the others to arrive. I knew the group was planning on the NFFB after this run, so I did not think much of him being here for this portion of the trip, after all, I met Mark on the Nanty. He is never "above" any stretch of river. Finally we has assembled our group and started the process of heading to the put in. The river wound its way out of sight and we began the climb into the Pisgah National Forest. Did I mention that we climbed?

The put in trail seemed to be fairly level, and I actually jogged a bit to scout the 1st rapid, Whaletail. This was a fair sized drop into a MEATY hole. Ben explained the line was over the curler on river right with a lefty boof stroke coming off the lip to avoid the hole. Mark was kind enough to point out some water and river features that help with scouting a drop. I opted to carry the 1st one, although I still regret not firing it up. Had Andy been there and told me it was okay, I know for sure, that after watching the others run it, I would have gone. Andy would have stopped me from carrying my boat before I watched; he is always on me about waiting to make decisions and keeping my noggin open. Everyone made the line look easy; just stay off the right bank, in the trees branches a bit, and huck the drop. I entered below the rapid and honestly expected a Nanty float from that point on...I could not have been more WRONG! The bottom drops out of this little micro creek in the hills. Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner is probably a super fun rapid if I could remember it. Three slides I think. Mark said I looked scared; I was. I was on the verge of walking out when the crew told me the easiest way out was down, so down I went. This thing kept dropping and dropping. We had to portage once due to a tree in the water. I swam in a flat pool because I was shaken and panicked because there was a tree that semi blocked the exit of the pool, and once because I blew a boof, got pushed river right and turned upside down in a rock jumble. The drops did not stop until we got to the take-out. I was relieved that I made it that far. Boats were hoisted up the large rock wall and NFFB plans were made. Obviously I opted for an end to my boating day. I was elated I had accomplished the run, well, sort of accomplished the run. I had to keep myself together while on the verge of freaking out, and I had to trust myself, somewhere down deep, somewhere that I still don't know all about, that I COULD paddle that creek. The people I was with did not express an opinion that I could not make it, not once. Maybe I gained strength in that; who knows, but my year was off and running on the right foot; a foot placed gently in water.

On the way back through Asheville, I stopped in to visit with Dave and Marcy. How I love these two like family. After a beer, some great conversation, playing in the new boat, and getting to look at Marcy's drawings, I had to head back over the mountain and get my mind back from the long winter break. Work tomorrow. Back to real life. Bummer.

No comments: